It’s that time of year when the Midwest’s largest and only FREE skeptic and atheist conference takes place. That’s right, SkeptiCon is just around the corner and THIS year it’s gonna be even better than ever. Why? Because THIS year they are letting me organize an art show!
Skepticon 7 is the weekend of November 21st–23rd 2014 and will be held at The Ramada Oasis in Springfield, MO!
First of all, you should go. And second of all, if you can, please donate to them. How they manage to keep this event free is awe inspiring! But they can’t do it without your help. Every dollar helps. They are also selling t-shirts to raise cash this year. Help em out. Oh and THEN go register CUZ IT’S FREE YOU GUYS!
Now on to the facts that have my heart a-flutter:
There is a room in the hotel that they are letting us put art in! We get to do an educational and inspirational art show and I could not be happier about it!
So here is the deal along with some simple rules.
The art show is going to have a theme.
That theme is: Planetary Science.
Rules for the Planetary Science SkeptiCon Art show!
1. If you want to be in the art show you have to be attending the conference OR have a friend who is going who is willing to take responsibility for your art- both setting it up and taking it down or selling it if you want it for sale. Sorry, no exceptions.
2. The art HAS to have something to do with the science of planets or the Cosmos. However you interpret that is totally up to you!
3. Your art HAS to be able to be displayed on a table OR you have to have a way to display it that does not require hanging it on the wall. Hotels love their walls. We can not put any nails in them. BUT there is a big conference table in the room we can display stuff on and the hotel has a few easels we can borrow. If you are driving to the con and you have an easel, bring it!
4. No nudity or sexist overtones in the art, please. I know, it’s strange to mention that for an art show about planetary science, but it had to be said.
5. If you sell your art, you agree to donate at least 10% of your sales back to SkeptiCon to help fund the event. Because they are awesome and we love them and they deserve it.
That’s it for rules!
Want to be involved? Great! Just leave a comment below or shoot me an email at email@example.com and let me know your name and what theme your art will be based on.
YAY ART AND YAY SKEPTICON!
More info on the event and registration can be found on the SkeptiCon 7 website.