- Pacific Rim doesn’t pass the Bechdel Test, but it’s not a complete failure in diversity on screen. The Mako Mori Test is a great discussion of the intersectin of gender and race and how we can evaluate movies. And the Shukla Test is a good proposal for a race-based equivalent of the Bechdel test.
- A roundup of fictional engineers in pop culture. And they’re not all evil!
- The History of the word “Engine”. It’s surprising and poetic.
- Science Fiction, Scientists, American Culture and “Competence Porn”.
- Alex Wild shows us how he photographs the Prairie.
- Matt Shipman interviews the creators of Phylo, an online game that allows people to decipher real DNA!
- Think again before sharing one of those quirky tree frog photos that pop up on Facebook. Posed animal photos from Indonesia.
- Retail Find: At last week’s ScioClimate conference, CEO extraordinaire Karen Traphagen wore this amazing dress designed with NASA’s MODIS data. There aren’t words to describe how much I want one..
Mental Floss brings us this video of how people in 1939 thought that people in 2000 would dress.
It’s strangely accurate.
This guy has spent a lot of time dropping red hot nickel balls onto various things.
Check out his whole playlist here.