Cookout weather is in full swing, and it isn’t going anywhere soon if you’re in the south like me. Grilling weather lasts from April to November here in Texas, and sometimes the staple grill foods get a little stale over the long season. Veggie burgers and baked beans are great, but sometimes a girl needs a break!
One cookout side dish I never grow tired of? This chunky black bean and corn dip. The only real work that goes into this dish is chopping veggies, so it’s super easy and quick. Chop, mix, and scarf. The hardest part is saving room for the main course!
This dish has sentimental qualities for me as well, and always reminds me of a family friend in small town Kansas, who would always make this for me growing up. This family, like mine, wasn’t native to Kansas. We shared a yearning for southern cuisine, and would often bond over Tex-Mex meals. I’d beg for this dip anytime our families got together, and now I jump at the chance to make it when I entertain my own friends.
For this dish, you’ll need to prep the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise (or Vegenaise, if you prefer)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 chopped jalapeno pepper
- Optional: 1-2 cubed avocados
Now that you’ve prepped all your food, you’re essentially done! Just follow these four quick steps,which basically boil down to “put everything in a bowl.”
- Mix black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno into a large bowl.
- Mix Mayo, Lime Juice, and Cumin in a separate mixing bowl
- Drizzle the Mayo mixture over the rest of the ingredients, stirring as you go.
- Mix until everything is evenly dispersed.
Serve with tortilla chips! Any ol’ tortilla chips will do for this dip, but I find that blue corn tortilla chips are particularly satisfying. Lastly, this recipe yields quite a bit, so you’ll likely have leftovers! Fill a tortilla with the leftovers for some tasty tacos!