MadArtLabCoat

MadArtLabCoat

I wanted a MadArtLabCoat. I mean, I had a lab coat. Everybody’s got a lab coat. It’s what you wear when you’re testing your latest directed energy ray weapon, right?

But a MadArtLabCoat? Nobody’s got one of those. Well, nobody except me…


See a MadArtLabCoat is just a regular lab coat with an embroidered Mad Art Lab patch on the pocket. How hard could that be? Oh, wait. I don’t actually know how to embroider. That could slow things down a bit.

OK, off to the craft store. After wandering around for about half an hour (“What’s the difference between pearl cotton and floss? … Royal Blue? Navy? Cyan? Screw it. Red.”) I came home with a likely set of materials…

After trying a few different techniques, all of which are too hideous to post, I decided to, well, cheat. I printed off an iron-on transfer, ironed that onto a piece of material, and started stitching over that. Here it is with just the red stitching done.

And here’s the patch shortly after finishing stitching. I also peeled off all the exposed iron-on stuff. Still needs a bit of cleanup, though.

This is the patch, cleaned up and ironed onto a generic lab coat, using a piece of interfacing.

Now I can test my Dogma Disruptor, confident that I’m properly accessorized.

Steve consists of approximately 60% water and 40% organic molecules, arranged in a configuration that is, among over things, capable of describing itself in this manner.

4 Comments

  1. Excellent work! And a great way to get around trying to graph out the design in your head.

  2. Thanks. :-) My first attempt involved tracing the design using disappearing ink and stitching over that. It didn’t turn out well at all. This one looks OK, though …from a distance …if you squint a bit. :-D

  3. I finally got around to reading this! Nice technique with the patch. I’m totally stealing that and using it in the future. (I think I need to add a Jeffersonian patch to my Bones lab coat now.)

  4. I love this. :)

Add Comment Register



Leave a Reply